Monday, June 15, 2009

Dinner Tonight 6/15/09

I'm calling tonight's dinner Mediterranean stuffed chicken. It's really easy to make, delicious and low fat. I have these special silicon ties that make rolling the chicken up very easy. I used to have an exact recipe but I lost that a while ago so you'll just have to use your own judgement.

First you saute a clove or two of garlic. Then add some thawed chopped spinach. Next add some chopped sun-dried tomatoes. You can buy the dried ones and reconstituted them in warm water or I buy the oil packed ones in a jar and just pat them dry with paper towels. So stir those three ingredients around in the skillet for a bit. Then add salt and pepper to taste. I add a pinch of oregano, you could also add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy version. Then take the pan off the heat and add some cream cheese (approx. 2 Tbsp per serving). I use the 1/3 less fat. Then let the mixture cool a little. And lastly add some feta cheese crumbles. I use reduced fat feta cheese.

Now I make a basting sauce of lemon juice, garlic, oregano and dijon mustard.

Take 2 chicken breasts that have been pounded out to about 1/4 of an inch thick and season with salt & pepper. Scoop the filling into the center of each piece and roll it up. You can tie it, pin it with toothpicks or use the handy dandy silicon ties. Now baste the chickens with the sauce you made and put in a foil lined pan.

Bake at 375 for 30-45 min. until the internal temperature is 160.

Voile! I served it with all kinds of veggies tonight. In particular, the picture shows some roasted Mediterranean squash. I love this stuff! By mid summer everyone at our farmers market is selling it. It's like a cross between zucchini and yellow summer squash.


No comments:

Post a Comment