Sunday, April 25, 2010

Weekend in Boone (part 2)

Better late than never. Where has the time gone? I thought I would devote a separate post to our hike up Elk Knob. Elk Knob State Park is a relatively new park, so much that the trail isn't quite finished and you have to take a rocky "road bed" (ranger's words, not mine, honestly I don't know what vehicle could have made it up that road) for the last 300-400 yards up to the top. It was the most strenuous hike I have done. Not the trail part so much but once you get to the rock path. Sheesh! Every time we turned a corner we were like "this has to be it, there's no more mountain to go up...wrong!" But the view was spectacular and it wasn't even a crystal clear day. Take a look.

This is Elk Knob.

David really liked their use of recycled material for trail markers instead of the old painted wood ones. Just thought I'd show the innovations in trail markers. :-P

While spring was in full bloom down in GSO, not too much was happening on this mountain side. But we did find these patches of green. I really like them for some reason.

Here is the path at first. Lovely new trail...nice shot sweetie. (giving the photographer the stink-eye)

Then after about a mile or so, it turns into this...
Uneven rock path...nice. Straight up too.

Then I turn around and realize the way back down doesn't like much fun either.

But the view was awesome! The park is about 20 min. up 194 N. from Boone and you can see as far as TN on clear day. Can you find Grandfather?

Finally...my "just around this corner" theory paid off. We made it!

Here is the view over parts of NC and VA.
Nice huh?

Like I said, it was one of the strenuous hikes that I have done when you get towards the top. But well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Hike! Those green plants are ramps or wild leeks. We have them on the Roan - great with potatoes and scrambled eggs!

    ReplyDelete