Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Culinary Revival

Like with my stitching, I have been in a culinary slump.  Then I found a couple of new recipes to help jog my cooking mojo.

David had been wanting me to make shepherds pie, then I found this great skillet version by America's Test Kitchen.

That inspired me to dust off my skills and make linguine alla carbonara.  This is one of my favorite Italian dishes and most restaurants in the United States do not make it correctly.  So it was either go to Italy again or make it myself.  :D



And now for my major undertaking, home corned beef.  America's Test Kitchen has this recipe on the same episode as the shepherds pie.  I decided to give it a try.

Here's my salt and spice rub.

Lovely 5 lb. beef brisket from the butcher.

Working in the spice rub...


Then it goes in a baggie and is pressed down with heavy cans.  This will sit in my fridge until Sunday.  I just have to flip the baggie once a day.  

Stay tuned this weekend for the results....




2 comments:

  1. Cool! Was the shepherd's pie hard? I've always wanted to try to make that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Everything looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete