Thursday, December 20, 2012

Surprise Gift

I am employed by a grant at the local historical museum.  Yesterday during our lunch discussions I think I brought up samplers a couple of times.  After the second time this really nice lady said, "I have a sampler if you would like it."  I couldn't believe it.  But she said that there wasn't a close family connection and she wanted it to go to someone who would enjoy it.  What a sweet wonderful gesture.  I cannot believe it!  What a wonderful kindness and unexpected present.

The lady who gave it to me thought it might be from Waterford, Maine.  The sampler says Betsy Bryant age 16 years 1811.  I was able to do a little research, Betsey Bryant was born 1795 in Waterford, Maine and lived to be 96 years old!  I cannot wait to see what else I can find out fellow stitcher woman.  When I get home after the holidays, I plan on taking it in to a framers to see about its condition and preservation.


6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I can't wait to see Betsy in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is awesome! And BTW, congrats on your stitching progress from last post. Everything looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift! It's a sweet sampler too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious gift to receive. I worry that my samplers will not be appreciated when something happens to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!!!! Awesome! A Blessed, Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that she didn't finish it! Congrats on the gift.

    ReplyDelete