Monday, September 5, 2011

Crafts for the baby

I'm sure some of you have been wondering...now she's been stitching like crazy but has she done anything for the baby? Well as a matter of fact..I have!

Here's an embroidery piece that is currently at the framer's.


Back in July I took a class at my local sewing store to learn Smocking. Smocking is a type of embroidery that has been used since the Middle Ages. Originally the smocked garment was practical as it allowed the fabric to give. Then later styles became a lot more decorative. Now smocking is a decorative form of embroidery that is worked in the pleats of a garment.

The dress on the bottom shows what it looks like before the embroidery. If I could sew, I could make the dresses and have them pleated. But I can't sew, I bought these ready-to-smock.

I picked the colors myself. I love the colors of autumn!

Oh and look...even the little sleeves are smocked. Those were not fun to do!


I already posted a quick iPhone pic of the blanket on Facebook. But I had David take a better one with his camera. I had to tweak the colors in the pattern since my blanket is for a girl. I love the almond with the strawberry and pistachio. (sounds like a tasty ice cream sundae)

1 comment:

  1. So cute! I love those smocking dressings. I can't wait to see her in them!

    ReplyDelete