Wednesday, December 8, 2010

2 New Recipes

I tried 2 new recipes tonight. First off: Baked-Skillet Spaghetti. This was SUPER easy. It all cooks in one 12 inch skillet. I was able to trim a few calories by using lean ground sirloin and turkey italian sausage. Other than that, it's a can of crushed tomatoes, garlic, herbs, noodles (Barilla Plus), half & half (instead of cream) and a cheese blend. Easy peasy! Incredibly tasty for how easy it is to cook and how simple the ingredients are.

Look at that spinach salad..so proud of myself on that one.


Then I promised my various co-workers at the 3 places I "work," that I would bring in some tasty morsels. My December/January issue of Cook's Country has a recipe for Blackberry Bliss Bars. These are addictive. Very bad since I've been trying to be good lately. They are essentially a Dolley Madison Bar or Magic Bar. It's a crumble type crust (with oatmeal and toasted coconut) with blackberry jam spread on top, then sprinkled with chocolate chips, toffee bits, toasted walnuts and some reserved crumble. Wow! Good thing I have 3 tupperware containers packed for my co-workers and David's. Like I need 24 chocolaty-blackberry goodness squares sitting around.

Mmm..you can see the jam oozing through the chocolate. It adds a fruity zing to the richness.

3 comments:

  1. Have you tried cooking with the nonfat 1/2 and 1/2? I've used it here and there and have had good success so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah...the word that I had to type in order for this to post was "rednec". Are you trying to tell me something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe. Funny.

    Yeah I substitute fat free 1/2 & 1/2 all the time for heavy cream as well as regular half and half.

    ReplyDelete